One of the many challenges that homeowners face in upholstery cleaning is removing stains from leather furniture. When you have to deal with a spill or stain on your leather sofa, you can either call in a professional such as Steam Plus Carpet Cleaning or you can also opt to clean it yourself.
If you prefer to do it on your own, here are some information that you will find helpful.
How To Remove Spills And Stains From Your Leather Sofa
Generally, upholstery cleaning, the key to effectively removing stains on your furniture is cleaning the stain or spill as soon as it happens. If you are not there when it happened, you should clean it as soon as you see it. In addition to this, regular and continuous cleaning also helps keep your leather sofa free from any stains.
Below are some other tips that you can use when cleaning your sofa.
- Do not wipe the spillages whether it is a drink or ink and even if it is food. You should know that wiping will only push the stains deeper into the leather that could result in discoloration or permanently staining your leather furniture. To avoid this from happening, experts suggest carefully blotting the spill away using a damp cloth.
- If the stain still persists, use high-quality leather cleaner. There are lots of different types of leather cleaners available in the market today. Choose one that is specifically made for upholstery. For best results, seek help from Myrtle Beach upholstery cleaning experts.
- It is also important to remember to test the cleaner on a small and hidden part of your sofa before using it to remove the stain. Some cleaning products cause discoloration and damage to the leather. To ensure the product you will be using is safe for your sofa, test it first. In addition to this, you should follow the directions for using the cleaning product. This is usually indicated on the label.
- Add leather preservative. This will serve as a protective coat that prevents spills and stains from seeping through the leather.
Additional upholstery cleaning tips
It is extremely important for homeowners to keep their furniture clean even if there are no spills and stains. This is why regular cleaning and maintenance routine is necessary.
- Basically, you need to vacuum your leather sofa at least once every week. Be sure that you use the soft brush attachment of your vacuum to avoid damaging your furniture. Vacuuming removes all dust and debris that can accumulate on the leather sofa. Do not forget to vacuum over the cracks and seams of your leather sofa because these are where the most dirt and dust accumulate.
- When wiping your leather sofa, use a clean and soft cloth that is damp with warm water. It is highly recommended that homeowners wipe their leather furniture at least once every week even if it seems to be clean and stain free. In addition to this, homeowners should also consider adding leather conditioner to their furniture on a weekly basis. This will help keep leather sofas in top condition and expand their lifespan. Do not forget to use protective gear especially for your hands and eyes to prevent accidents and injuries. Keep in mind that these products may contain harmful chemicals.